Municipal Court Services
The Court will hear and decide more than 3,500 criminal cases, 8,500 traffic cases, and 2,400 civil cases in an average year. Probation officers of the Court monitor over 2,000 defendants who have been sentenced to a term of court supervision.
The Municipal Court:
- Hears and decides all traffic violations, all misdemeanor criminal violations, and civil disputes with jurisdiction up to $15,000
- Provides probation services
- Provides alternative sentencing services
- Provides treatment programs
- Maintains Court records
The Municipal Court hears and decides violations that occur within Scioto County including:
- Traffic Violations – The Court hears and decides all causes involving the operation and licensing of motor vehicles, including DUI violations.
- Criminal Violations – The Court can hear all misdemeanor causes. In felony cases, the Court can only conduct preliminary hearings to determine probable cause to bind a case over to the Scioto County prosecutor for referral to the Scioto County Grand Jury.
- Civil Matters – The Court can hear civil disputes involving less than $15,000 and small claims disputes of less than $3,000. Civil matters include landlord / tenant disputes, evictions, garnishments, personal injury claims, property damage claims, and other related claims.
Click Here for Additional Information
For more information, please contact the Municipal Court at:
728 Second St.
Portsmouth, OH 45662
Ph: (740) 354-3283
Fx: (740) 353-6645